3D Dental Scanning
WHY HAVE YOU BEEN REFERRED FOR A 3D CBCT DENTAL SCAN ?
The scan is acquired simply by positioning you in an upright position while the machine spins 360 degrees around your head. This procedure is safe, non-invasive and often uses up to 33 times less radiation than medical spiral CT. On your arrival, our staff will spend about two minutes with you explaining the acquisition process. The actual scan only takes around 7-15 seconds. Our appointments average 15 minutes from start to finish.
HOW DOES THE SCAN HELP MY DENTIST?
- It will allow them to:
- Visualise internal anatomy that cannot be diagnosed externally
- Plan treatment and surgery
- Prepare necessary guides
- Assess risk
- Analyse the orientation and position of critical structures like nerves, teeth roots,
- Helps to ensure a faster, safer, dental procedure.
SHOULD I PREPARE MYSELF FOR THE SCAN
No special preparation is needed for a CBCT scan. Anything that might interfere with the imaging such as earrings, necklaces, piercings, hairpins or eyeglasses should be removed. This interference takes the form of ‘scatter’, which distorts the image in the immediately surrounding area. The x-ray technician may ask you to remove dentures or other appliances, but it is advisable to bring these along to the appointment, as the technician may on occasion be required to incorporate them into the scan.
LOW DOSE SCANNING
A 360 Visualise 3D Adult Low Dose CBCT (8 x 9 cm) has an effective dose of 19 microSieverts, the equivalent of 2 days background radiation, a small field 3D Adult Low Dose CBCT (5 x 5 cm) has an effective dose of 0.5 microSieverts, the equivalent of 0.5 days background radiation. Eating 1 banana has an effective dose of 0.1 microSieverts, the equivalent of 18 minutes background radiation.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM ILKLEY TRAIN STATION
- Head East on Railway Road towards Nelson Road
- Continue onto Mayfield Road
- Turn right at Little Lane
- Continue onto Valley Drive
- Turn left at Valley Road
- The 360 Visualise car park is immediately on the right